Friday, December 31, 2004

"Murder and champagne follow"

Slate has collected the opinions of a motley crew on the standout cultural happenings of the year.

Daniel Handler (aka Lemony Snicket) extols the virtues of the 1950 Mexican film Aventurera, this year released on DVD:

What is the film about? Ninon Sevilla, in a fervent, twitchy performance, plays Elena, a young girl who endures sexual temptation, the breakup of her family, a suicide, and dance lessons in the first 10 minutes of the film. Following that, Gout thoughtfully provides a brief flashback encompassing all the events of the past 10 minutes. Murder and champagne follow. White slavery is involved and unrequited love. Also, table tennis. . . . Also, it is a musical.


I so have to see this movie.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yup, nothing like a bit of light escapism to bolster the Holiday Season.

We at SC&A wish you and yours the Happiest of New Year's. May the coming year find you all in good health and spirits, proserous, and may you know much joy and fulfillment.

We like you and your blog- you are our kind of whack job.

SC&A

Michele said...

Why must I always follow those three? No reply required.

There are three things tat brought me here today:
1. To say "yay you" on The BoB Nomination. You can count on my vote.
2. To wish you and those you love a wonderul and happy New Year.
3. Cos' I wanted to. So there.

Hugs from me to you.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on becoming a finalist in the BoB awards and one on Michele's list.
Sol

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year, Isabella, and congratulations on becoming a BoB Awards finalist!

I never herd of that movie "Aventurera", but I'm sure it's better than that comedy my big brother rented last Friday, "The Shining".

I hope you are having a nice weekend, and thanks for visiting my blog!

Rockchild
http://www.rockchild.com