Thursday, December 23, 2004

The toddler, the monkey, and the shrink

We have a Christmas tree! Finally. It's not dressed yet, but we have our tree.

Helena was home today and it was lovely. Mostly. Except when she turned into an unpleasant little monster for no apparent reason for hour-long stretches at a time. Maybe a molar. Or gas. Maybe I'm just out of practice.

Or maybe she's figured out that I've pretty much decided not to get her anything for Christmas. (Though one would think this would elicit extra nice behaviour. Two-year-olds sure have a lot to learn.) We did pick up that easel for her, though I hardly expect her eyes to light up when she unwraps that. Some eye-rolling maybe ("Mommy thinks she's still playing The Sims"). I'd tucked away a book or two for her, but again, not a lot of spontaneous glee likely to result from this. My best shot at toddler joy is the vat of playdoh I picked up at the dollar store.

I'm still feeling ambivalent about this holiday season. Other bloggers offer up a lot to think about, assigning tasks that will go unanswered by me for the time being.

This month the monkey asks:
What would you do if you had a free year, all to yourself, to dedicate to whatever you wanted? Assume money was not a problem — you've just received a $60,000 Monkey Grant.

Travel? Write?

I don't know. I might just spend the whole year thinking about, and that could be a very worthwhile endeavour.

Sleep? I miss sleep.

The First Annual SC&A Holiday Blogger Challenge is also under way:
If you are a leftie blogger, go out and find three rightie blogs to say something nice about. Write a post about it on your blog, and leave a comment on their blogs. If you are a rightie, do the same for a leftie. If you are a mom, do the same for a angsty teen. You get the picture.

I'm not sure that an angsty teen is quite the opposite of me. Most days I feel like an angsty teen.

But this is an exercise worth doing. Get to know people who are very different from you. Be nice to them. The question begs to be asked: What is my opposite?

9 comments:

Suzanne said...

Ambivalence aside (and I have plenty this year!), I hope you and your family have a very Merry Christmas.

Anonymous said...

Michele sent me.. need to get that out of the way or I forget. Now, four kids later and then grandkids may I give this one bit of advice. Glee will abound with your two old. Just wrap her old toys in place of where money is short. But, use crayons to color the boxes or comics pages, heck news paper is fun for a two year old but then, you might have issues with her tearing it up later since it was okay that day. Anyway, by my experience, it is the boxes. Big boxes she can hide in are the best. Little boxes to nest within each other. Just.. boxes for the best Christmas. AND.. you love her, what better gift could you give her? It's not about "things" it's about what comes from your heart and ...of course, boxes.

Anonymous said...

Oh and a year to myself with money as no object?
I'd feel lost.

. said...

Hello, Michele sent me. I'd blow all the money on Chinese food, I think. Maybe it would be best to give it to someone else. But thanks anyway! Merry Christmas!!

Michele said...

Oh love the what would I do faor a year question, but I first must know how the heck am I expected ot live on only sixty thousand for a year??

Teasing of course. I would travel and write about my travels.

Oh by the way, guess who sent me?

My holiday message to you:

In this season of celebration I also celebrate the wonderful people who have touched my life with their glorious spirit, wit, wonder, and joy. This list of people does indeed include you.

Wishing you love, joy and wonderment during this glorious time of year.

gail said...

Michele, sent me. Have a Happy Christmas and a Very Merry New Year!

JustSue said...

Hello Michele sent me! And I am so glad she did - because it gave me the oppotunity to wish you a very Merry Christmas and all the best in the coming New Year! Gotta love that gal Michele!

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a coterie of unctuous bloggers, Isabella :-)!

Merry Christmas, dahling...

E

Anonymous said...

An extra sixty thou a year?

Spend it therapy, of course.

Happy, Happy, Christmas!

Sig, Carl and the always overlooked what's his name, er...Alfred.